If you are unable to log in to a Windows server because you have forgotten your password, you can reset the Administrator password on a Windows VPS using the rescue mode. This should work with any version of Windows NT.
1. Start your VPS in rescue mode.
2. Using this command, to mount the hard drive.
ntfs-3g /dev/vda1 /mnt/windows
There should be a Windows folder in the directory listing, followed by a system32 folder. If not, it's possible that you've selected the incorrect partition.
3. Now you must navigate to the Windows/System32/config directory within your Windows server. Run the following command:
4. We'll use the chntpw command to change the password, and it's best to use the –l argument first to get a list of all the usernames in the file.
chntpw –l SAM
5. You may now use the –u parameter to specify your username. This will bring up a wizard-style screen.
chntpw –u Administrator SAM
6. Unfortunately, using chntpw to change the Administrator password does not work, but clearing it does. So go with option 1:
7. Remember to use the “y” key when prompted to save.
8. Your password has been cleared, so you can restart the machine with the reboot command. You should now be able to log in using Video Display without a password.
Please note: To avoid abuse, remember to setup a new password for Administrator user.